Every day I, as a chiropractor in Portland, OR, have patients who ask me about things that they can be doing at home to help them heal along with their chiropractic treatments. One of the best ways to decrease pain/inflammation in the body besides chiropractic adjustments is to enhance your diet! Many times people take expensive supplements like glucosamine to help their joints – when in a few steps at home they could be making affordable, easily absorbable, healing bone broth!
Bone broth, has been considered a great healer in many cultures for hundreds of years. Many patients that drink bone broth may see vast improvements in several different areas. If you’re fighting off a cold or the flu, homemade bone broth is excellent for speeding healing and recuperation from illness. Far beyond this, broth or “stock,” is a powerful food as it’s easily digestible, helps heal the lining of your gut, and contains valuable nutrients that promote healing throughout your body and gives you the building blocks for joint and bone, support and repair!
A Basic Bone Broth Recipe
- 2.5 pounds of grass fed bones – femurs and knuckles from a natural food market like New Seasons or Whole Foods.
- 2 tbs raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Gallon filtered water
- 3 celery stalks, halved
- 3 carrots, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Sea salt
- At 400 degrees, place bones on baking sheet for 1 hour.
- Place bones and drippings in a pot or a Crockpot, add apple cider vinegar and water, so the vinegar can leach the mineral out of the bones, add the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 24-72 hours (if you’re not comfortable leaving the pot to simmer overnight, turn off the heat and let it sit overnight, then turn it back on and let simmer all day the next day)
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, throw in a handful of fresh parsley for added flavor and minerals.
- Let the broth cool and strain it, making sure all marrow is knocked out of the marrow bones and into the broth.
- Add sea salt to taste and drink the broth daily –8 ounces– as is or store in fridge up to 5 to 7 days or freezer up to 6 months for use in soups or stews.
Top Reasons to Eat Bone Broth
There are many reasons for incorporating good-old-fashioned bone broth into your diet. The following health benefits attest to its status as “good medicine.”
- Helps heal and seal your gut, and promotes healthy digestion: The gelatin found in bone broth is a hydrophilic colloid. It attracts and holds liquids, including digestive juices, thereby supporting proper digestion.
- Inhibits infection caused by cold and flu viruses. A study published over a decade ago found that chicken soup indeed has medicinal qualities, significantly mitigating infection.
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation, courtesy of chondroitin sulphates, glucosamine, and other compounds extracted from the boiled down cartilage.
- Fights inflammation: Amino acids such as glycine, proline, and arginine all have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Arginine, for example, has been found to be particularly beneficial for the treatment of sepsis (whole-body inflammation). Glycine also has calming effects, which may help you sleep better.
- Promotes strong, healthy bones: Bone broth contains high amounts of calcium, magnesium, and other nutrients that play an important role in healthy bone formation.
- Promotes healthy hair, skin and nail growth, thanks to the gelatin in the broth.
So, do your body a favor and support your chiropractic care by drinking bone broth daily. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask me, Dr Myers in Portland OR , at your next treatment.
Chiropractic is one of the most interesting health care professions these days. Chiropractors provide treatment for chronic pain ailments and help relieve patients from pain post surgeries or injuries. Chiropractic care primarily focuses on the diagnosis and the treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous system.
If you are experiencing an intense pain due to some injury or suffering from chronic pain, then the best option is to find a chiropractor. However, it is not so easy to find a qualified, well experienced and reliable chiropractic practitioner in Portland. Well, with the few things discussed here, we hope it may help you find a chiropractor best suited for your needs in your area.
Do Background Research
When looking for a qualified chiropractor, it is crucial that you carry out a good research about the chiropractor. Make sure that the practitioner is certified, trained and experienced. Checking on the various online websites, you can find the one who has all the credentials, you are looking for. These websites can provide the detailed information through which you can make your selection. Additional to this, most of the chiropractors have their own websites displaying the detailed information about their practices.
Ask for Free Online Consultation
Most chiropractors portland offer free online consultation. You can schedule an interview of your prospective chiropractor via telephone, or send a request online or book an appointment to discuss his methods and the services he/she provides. Ask for the total time taken for the completion of the treatment.
Rely on Recommendations
One of the traditional ways to find an experienced chiropractor in Portland is to ask your physician for recommendations. Chiropractors who work with your physician or are referred by other medical practitioners are more likely reliable and trustworthy. Your relatives, family members or friends can also recommend one if they have good experience with them. Make the list of recommended chiropractors in your area and start looking for the best chiropractor.
Research on Different Chiropractic Methods
There are various methods of chiropractic care treatments that the chiropractors follow to combat your ailment. For different conditions like low back pain, disc problems, neck pain, chronic headaches, upper back pain, shoulder pain or sciatica, a chiropractor follow a different treatment. Research and try to understand what each chiropractic adjustment entails and decide on which method may best suit for your health condition.
Check for The Fees
One of the most important factors while considering chiropractor care is the cost. Find out or ask your health insurance company whether the treatment is covered by your health insurance or not. This may help you decide to find a chiropractic care center whose fees fit in your budget.
Always remember that undergoing any health care treatment is a big and vital decision, and it should never be taken lightly. If you have already searched for one and still want to wait for a second advice, then it is better to wait. There is no need to start the treatment immediately. Getting a better option after sometime is good rather than falling into the wrong hands. In the end, it’s your decision.
Call Dr. Cyndi Myers on myportlandchiropractor.com on 503.253.8818 or email us and experience the integrative chiropractic and wellness spa diference. You’ll find a chiropractor who is experienced, friendly and caring who can provide you with the best chiropractic care in Portland, OR.
What does a Chiropractor do? Chiropractors, or doctors of chiropractic medicine, are skilled individuals that are trained to detect and cure patients suffering from muscular and skeletal problems. They are not only highly trained in problems dealing with the spine, but are also skilled in treating the nervous system. Many chiropractic doctors in the Portland area treat numerous general health problems as well. To find a chiropractor in our area, all you have to do search online for “chiropractor Portland.” You will discover a long list of doctors.
Abnormalities of the spine can hamper your body in many ways. For instance, your spine is very closely related to your nervous system. When your spine is out of alignment it can result in a lowering of your body’s natural powers of resistance leaving you open to a variety of health problems. A chiropractor is trained to put your spine back in proper alignment.
A skilled chiropractor must also have keen observational skills in order to diagnose other physical irregularities. Because people often come to the chiropractor in extreme pain, a good chiropractor has to be understanding and empathetic. The desire to serve others and relieve their pain should be his or her principal motive.
Because chiropractic medicine deals with health issues which often create stress on the patient’s body, the chiropractor will manipulate and adjust the body in such a way to relieve the stress and alleviate the patient’s pain. Chiropractors offer non surgical solutions to back and joint pain. They also provide drug-free treatment. Many chiropractors offer holistic treatments that promote the natural healing properties of the body. Don’t be surprised if, when you visit your chiropractor Portland, that you’re offered healthful exercises.
Some chiropractic professionals are experts in other areas of alternative medicine as well. Some may use light treatments, ultrasound or electric massage. You will find some that are trained in acupuncture and heat therapy. Some specialize in sports injuries and sports neurology. There are even pediatric chiropractors as well.
Some chiropractors are very skilled in nutrition and will be able to provide you with natural vitamin and mineral supplements to help in your healing process.
Generally speaking if you suffer a neck or spinal injury as a result of an automobile accident, or if you twist your back as the result of a slip and fall, the chiropractor is the professional to seek out.
You will find chiropractors with solo practices and others that work together with a group of doctors. In group practices it is not uncommon for each member of the group to have a specific specialty. Also, many chiropractic offices have licensed massage therapists on staff, as well as assistants who have been trained to work with the doctors.
If you are suffering from back or joint pain, or have recently been in an accident, try doing a search for “Chiropractor Portland.” Doing so will provide you with a drug-free, natural treatment program to get you back on the road to health.